Saturday, April 13, 2013

Dyeing

My jeans have seen better days. 
Structurally they are fine, they have just started to fade. Not a fade that would matter, except the only time I wear jeans here is if I am being dressy and the two pairs that were hole free were starting to get just too faded to dress up anymore. Also, the Honolulu Sears is closing and there were a few good sales  as they marked their clearance down an additional 40%. I got a very nice pair of jeans (with a nice belt) for only $15. Only trouble was they had an unflattering fade going on. So, I decided to be brave and try to dye them.  
I used an entire bottle of Navy Blue and half a bottle of Black.


I didn't want to do a 'test' batch because then I would have to 'waste' a bottle of dye so I risked it and dyed all three pairs at the same time. EXTREEMLY NERVE WRACKING! Even worse I have never dyed something in the washer before. While it was dying it made a horrendous mess of the washer! 
However all of my worrying was for nothing!
Check em out:

(My camera is kinda lame at taking these type of pictures the color is deeper in real life.)

AND
with a little bit of bleach the washer scrubbed up like new :)
So yep, now I basically have 3 new pars of pants!


Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love dying things in the washer. There is always that absolute terror that your washer hose will fly off during the first spin cycle, your washer will never get clean, the clothes will look terrible, or all of the above but it has always turned out well so far (knock on wood). Your jeans look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vast improvement on those jeans! Good job. If you ever do this again using wool, nylon, or silk you can help 'set' the color more by adding white vinegar with the dye. At least, that was a trick we used back in the days when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.I am amazed that Rit Dye has stood the test of time with corporate buy-outs. Nice when a good product remains available to several generations! Otherwise you'd be studying up on how to use the pre-Rit-world answer to blue jeans..indigo plants!

    ReplyDelete