Sunday, October 6, 2013

Welcome Fall!

Summer in Hawaii was HOT... Dead hot. We burnt out our little AC and had to buy a new bigger one. At work we took on selling combo AirConditioner/Photovoltaic Systems, and cant keep up with demand. So when the first rains of Fall started to fall I could hardly believe how happy they made me. Contrary to common belief there are seasons here. They are very subtle to the untrained eye but I've come to love them. To celebrate the cooling rains we purchase some 'Gourd-ous' Jack-o-Lantern gourds from a lady on Etsy
Found a great Polish Food Blog
She has most of the recipes in English if  you scroll down
And I tried this new recipe:

Pumpkin Donuts with Buttermilk Glaze
Ingredients for about 33 donuts:
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 package baking powder ( 10 g )
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice ( see recipe below )
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons soft butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup pumpkin puree*
Canola oil for frying

* My recipe for pumpkin puree: 1 Hokkaido pumpkin cut into pieces, remove the seeds and fibers. Bake about 30 minutes, covered, in a preheated oven at 180°C, and then blend until smooth. Divide into parts (approximately 250 g = 1 cup ) and pack in a plastic bag , store in the freezer.

Method:

In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients: the flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and sugar.
Whisk together all of the remaining ingredients (except for the canola oil) in a second, medium bowl.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir them around the bowl until the mixture is well combined.
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, rolling the donut dough to approximately 1/4  -1/2″ thick. Cut with a donut cutter.
Heat 2 inches of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, gently slide the donuts into the oil, frying on the first side until the edges of the donut are lightly browned, flip carefully and allow to cook on the other side until lightly browned.
Remove and dunk immediately into buttermilk glaze. Allow to air dry on a cooling rack before serving.
Buttermilk Glaze:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Dip hot donuts in the glaze, then allow to air dry on a cooling rack.

They were the single best doughnuts I have ever made... Possibly even the best I have ever eaten! 
I cut the recipe in half and had to add in a little extra flour. It was pretty easy too. 

Here are the results:



2 comments:

  1. ..just gained 5 pounds simply by reading the recipe & gazing at your results in the last photo. Thanks a lot :/

    p.s.. oh happy day! Looking at that creepy gourd on the left scared the beejeebers out of me, gave me the willies & jitters, & now that my nerves are shot it seems I've burned enough calories to drop those 5 pounds :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! I Pinned that recipe last week! Now I have to make it! Although I don't have doughnut cutters...And I love your gourds! So fun

    ReplyDelete