Thursday, February 16, 2012

Favorite things: Hawaii

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

I love to make lists of my favorite things! And I never like to just choose 1 favorite thing. I remember some of the kids at the day care where I used to work we amazed that I had two favorite colors. "You can have more than one favorite color!?" "Yes! you can have as many favorites as you want!" :D "Oh!...Well then I love the whole rainbow!!"
So to celebrate 1 full week in Hawaii, I am doing:
First Week Favorites!

There are no boring tree's on Oahu:
It wouldn't be fair really to call any tree "boring" but I am of the opinion that the tree's here just are a little more exciting than the rest.

Case 1:
The Banyan: Wow I have really big, heavy limbs...I know what I'll do! I'll grow extra roots and trunks to support them!

Case 2:
Norfolk Pine: Oh Hi! I'm just a pine tree who came on vacation and never left:

Case 3:
(insert pic here soon)
So many unkowns: I haven't been shaped by crazy winds or intense snow loads.. I just grow this way for fun.


The birds are fun and exotic:
We are living right in the middle of a busy city and yet there are always cool bird calls from first thing in the morning to late in the evening:
Oddly enough I haven't seen any seagulls!

Common Myna:
These are always in the grass they act a lot like American Robins

Zebra Dove, and Spotted Doves:
WAY cuter in real life!
These are everywhere and they are not afraid of you at all! They look so sweet and are always cooing. I just want to pick them up and kiss them on the head soo bad!

Cattle Egrets:
Ask Richard for more details on these. They walk really funny, he was explaining it has something to do with keeping their head still while their legs move.

And SOO many more: I need a bird book really bad. I just looked the ones above up, Until now I've been calling them things like 'Cute little dove thingy' 'those robin birds' 'chickadee type' 'the black stellar's jay' etc There are so many here. I just was reading an avid birder's blog and they have identified and photographed over 180 species!

The rain here makes me happy!
Rain usually bums me out. Exceptions to this rule are: Awesome thunderstorms, and Hawaii rain. I love it when it rains here. I have only gotten light rains so far but they are so refreshing and nice! You know that right after in rains smell? Mix it with tropical flowers and refreshing change in the temperature and WOW! Last weekend when we were hiking right about the same time it would get uncomfortably hot it would do a light misty rain even though the sun was still shining on us! AMAZING!

3 comments:

  1. Ha! so you should know that your great writing/descriptions gave me the inspiration I needed for the 2nd half of your House Warming present.. watch for it, you guys will love it! (Amazon still ships free, but slower to Hawaii ;)

    ..and you wrote so well I could just capture a hint of Plumeria on the fresh, moist, Tropical breeze drifting through my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, your blog always makes me happy. And thanks for the shipping tip, mama Baker!

    ReplyDelete