Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ridge Hike!

Since we first landed to Oahu back in February we have done all sorts of hikes. There are lots of types to choose from, coast line, historical, rain forest, waterfall, etc, but one type we had never tried was a ridge line hike.

This weekend we remedied that.

The first section was quite arid,


Then more semi arid.
With all the lava rock and pine trees it reminded me of parts of NorCal


(That's lichen that Richard is holding)

About 1/4 of the way up you get your first vistas:

A cute little farm to the right:


Honolulu to the left:

(can you spot the sail boat?)

The higher up we got, the more green and lush things became:


Then after considerable amount of panting we arrived at the top:

That ridge snakes it's way all the way up the island.

And here it is the view:




It was late afternoon and cloudy so my camera was having troubles with the lighting. As cool as these pictures are, they don't even come close to the real sight.

See those two little islands off on the right? Ben and I paddled out to those!


Some beautiful flowers also shared our view:

Needless to say... It was pretty awesome!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED taking this ridge hike (virtually) with you guys!! I only spotted the sail boat after you pointed it out & soo cool seeing the islands from the ridge that you & Ben kayaked out to. Totally awesome scenery. Thanks thanks thanks for sharing. We are on fire here -again- so you're getting the benefits of experiencing similar/familiar grounds w/o all the horrid smoke)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is so cool. From the looks of the height, I would have died before making it to the top. I think I spotted the sailboat, at least I tried to wipe away a small white dot from my screen. Such beautiful pictures! Oh, and is Richard taking the hard way in that picture? (sometimes he does that) Or was it just plain that hard?

    ReplyDelete