Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Genetics and Other Musings

Richard just recently explained genetics to me for the 5th time. I learned about them in high school, took  several classes that explained them in college, but for some reason I cant keep the concept cemented in my mind. So, I thought I'd do a mini report so I could come back and reference it. Word of Caution: I just had Richard proof read this and apparently I'm still a bit off. Also, I am way oversimplifying it. If you want a nice scholarly paper on the topic follow this link or this link

What brought it up was we were talking about what color our kids' eyes might be. 
I can't use most of the common 'what color with my children's eye's be' charts because Richard and I both have eyes that don't really fit into the Brown, Green, Grey, or Blue categories

Here's what we are working with:
Richard's:


And Abby's:


Eyes can use 6 genes to define color. 
To get eyes like Richard's (hazel ) you need 3 dominant genes and 3 recessive genes.
To get eye's like mine (pale blue) you need 6 recessive genes.
On a side note when I tried to search for a proper name for pale blue eyes all I could find were song lyrics haha!

So here comes the math part. When we have kid's I will give them 3 of the genes and Richard will give them the other 3. I only have recessive genes to give, so it will be completely up to Richard what color our kids eyes are. (He disagrees with me and says that my egg will be bossy and choose whatever genes of his it wants and he can't be held responsible for my egg's choice)

If he sends his 3 recessive genes they will get eyes just like mine.
If he sends his 3 dominant genes they will get eyes just like his.
If he sends a combination of dominant and recessive they will end up with regular blue eyes.

So do a little probability math and here's how the lottery looks:
25% Hazel
25% Pale Blue
50% Regular Blue

However, this doesn't mean that if we have four kids 1 will have mine, 1 will have Richard's and 2 will be blue. The lottery happens every time. Also, I just recently found out that this method is only about 90% effective. Mostly the only thing we know for sure is we can't have a brown eyed kid.

But that is not all. My genes carry a nasty little secret. A few of my readers may not be able to tell that Richard's eye's are Hazel, to them they may just seem brown. This is because color deficiency runs in my family. It keeps my Mom and both of my brothers from seeing the numbers in these:




Color deficiency is caused by a little gene that attaches to the bottom of the X chromosomes. (Males=XY, Females=XX) It is a recessive trait so it is rare for females to show any symptoms. But if both of her X chromosomes have the gene then she will have color deficiency. Since both of my Mom's X chromosomes had the gene both Eli and Ben are color deficient. But since my dad's X chromosome was clean I don't show any signs of it. But I am still a carrier.

This means that if we have boys, they will have a 50% chance of being color deficient as well. 

As for probability on hair color?


 Brown Vs Blonde?


We have no Idea!

P.s. This is a pic of my hair after attempting the Sock Bun curling method, It was a little disappointing but think it is just because I have so much hair. I'm going to try a few tweaks and see how it goes.
P.p.s We are not pregnant, I've still got at least 5 years before that ;)


4 comments:

  1. Apparently I need to pay more attention when I read your posts. Josh is distracting me so I read two very important things wrong.
    1. I thought you wrote: "However, this doesn't mean that if we have four kids they will be mine,..."
    As ludicrous as this statement would be, I had to read it three times before I got it right.
    2. I saw "P.p.s (blah blah blah) pregnant (yada yada) 5..." And interpreted that you guys were 5 months pregnant until I reread it in shock/disbelief and horror that this is how you tell us.
    I liked your little lesson. I didn't know that color blindness ran in your family. I will be sure to mess with Eli more :) he-he-he

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized Richard's eyes were so hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos to go with this genetics lesson! And, like I told you on the phone, I really LIKED your over-simplification explanation, lol. And, before now, I've always thought Richard had BROWN eyes. The close-up picture showed how beautiful all the colors are (well, to me, the shades of colors!).

    You & Eli got Papa's eye color. In light of your non-productive quest to find a 'proper' name for your color (except for song lyrics), I think we should call them 'Lyrical Blue'.. doncha think?

    Got to your dots in the circles section. And immediately thought "Numbers? WHAT numbers?" lol.. Damnable attached-gene to my double-X's! But wait, I go back & study & study them & a few things start to appear: is that a '21' in the bottom left circle..and a 20-something in the one above it? 23 maybe? Poor little 50% chance color-deficient future Ronnow babies.. poor little 100% color-deficient Baker Boys :/

    You'll have to throw the chance of auburn into that genetic pool considering your grandmother's hair color. It's what brings out that reddish-tint in your brother's & uncle's beards..

    GREAT POST..loved it. Glad you wrote it up & added all those terrific photos!



    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie's reply was hilarious. I think she must have been studying too hard and got her synapses crossed as well as her eyes. Interesting analysis, but whatever they are they will be darling grandchildren. I'm not surprised that Richard has hazel eyes. So do I, except after all the years they have been around they aren't as defined as they used to be. We will look forward to the day we can see these grandchildren and see if your predictions come true. We love you both!!! By the way, Jenny says both your hair is gorgeous. Your children will be lucky to get either one. Allan

    ReplyDelete