Friday, March 29, 2013

Hooray for the sun!!

So this is what the weather has been like for weeks:


It was terrible! I know, I know it is probably below freezing and snowing where many of you are and I should just be thankful... WELL I WASN'T! That's one of the major reasons we went to all the hassle of moving out here was for the everlasting sunshine and heat, and here Hawaii was trying to be a slightly warmer version of Seattle!

Luckily it isn't Seattle and after our relatively brief suffering we were finally rewarded with sunshine, and not only sunshine but the first day without a high surf warning in MONTHS! WOOHOOO! Snorkel season is coming back!!!

We were up at our favorite beach again celebrating the return of the sun and we weren't the only ones!
SOOO many turtles! Tons basking on the sand and munching in the shallows and swimming around in the surf.

Can you find all of them on this shelf?
(hint: there are 5)



 Isn't the Shell on this one beautiful?
(and yes that is someone's house in the back ground! those lucky duckies! Can you imagine how cool it would be to have sea turtles literally in your back yard?! Of course then you would have to have me in your back yard, but I bet it is worth it)

My friend Lisa made me a T-shirt with this on it a few years ago for my Birthday:

California

I LOVED IT!!! and therefor wore it to death. It was soo worn it was no longer socially acceptable to wear in public, But then I got this great idea to up-cycle it into a cute beach shirt! This was my first try and I still have to fix the straps a little but I was pretty proud of it:




Richard was very exicted to be able to use his camera again!
Here is a neat picture of some fish under a ledge:

And this adorable tiny fish: 

Richard had to dive down 10+ feet to get this shot! I'm very impressed with how clear it is:

Not only were there tons of Turtles they were all so friendly/curious! We had so much fun swimming with them. Here is a video of me and the turtles:


And one with Richard and them as well.
Richard looks up out of the water at the same time that the turtle goes up out of the water to get air, and it startles the bubbles out of her! :o


Here is a clip of a few of them just being beautiful:


And  here is one snatching some floating sea weed:


I'm always amazed at how unconcerned they are of personal space, here is one taking a breath up by Richard:


And here is one charging Richard:


We have not had one actually crash into us yet in one of these 'chicken' games they seem to like to play. I always get out of the way since half of them out weigh me. Richard lets them get right up in his face though...they usually stop or change directions at the last possible second, but I'm sure one of these days they are going to collide with him and I just hope I have the camera running when it happens!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, but only if you guys had the ferry boats, Pike Place Market, and the Fat Crab stand from Seattle! Now wouldn't that be an awesome addition to your locale?!

    Very clever T-shirt Lisa designed for you..and excellent re-make. Bet you two could turn a pretty profit selling them on etsy!

    I can only find 1 turtle.. dang! (bet that's all Ben & Eli will be able to spot, too) You'll have to do another computer 'take-over' and show me the rest.

    Wonderful day at the beach (despite losing your keys..amazing that Richard found them!). Thanks for taking the time to post all those videos..what a terrific camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just went back to re-study your hide-n-go-seek turtle picture. I THINK I've got 3 spotted for sure..maybe a 4th! How 'bout add another picture with arrows pointing out each one at the bottom of this post to see if I'm right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quote from your post: "Can you imagine how cool it would be to have sea turtles literally in your back yard?! Of course then you would have to have me in your back yard, but I bet it is worth it)"

    Response from this reader: "Yes!" & "Yes!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have found 4 of the turtles. Definitely 3 of them. I love this post. And I cannot wait for the day that one crashes into Richard. Actually, I could imagine he is hoping for it too. It must be so hard to see such beautiful creatures that both of you adore and not be allowed to touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We found four turtles (we think). We'll keep watching your blog for when the turtle collides with Rick and knocks him silly. We think it is pretty amazing that you can swim right with them so close and they don't seem to be worried about you at all. We ar hoping that when we come over to visit that we might get the chance to see a few ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those turtles are awesome! And I do believe that shirt looks quite better than it did before. You are one talented lady! (Also, I completely forgot about that haha)

    ReplyDelete