Saturday, March 31, 2012

Chinese Dumplings!

I feel ... I feel ... I feel Happy of Myself!
I made them 100% from scratch!

Here's how I did it:

Wonton wrappers: 
Ingredients: 
1 egg
1/3 cup water (I've found I need almost 1/2 cup)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt


Directions:
In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Mix in the water.
In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Create a well in the center of the mixture and slowly pour in the egg and water. Mix well. If the mixture is too dry, increase the amount of water one teaspoon at a time until a pliable dough has formed.
On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until elastic. Cut dough into two separate balls. Cover the balls with a damp cloth for a minimum of 10 minutes.
Cut each ball into four equal pieces. Roll the pieces into 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 inch squares. Cut each into nine 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 inch squares.
(got that from allrecipes.com)

Filling:
Finely minced chicken
Sprinkle of garlic
Sprinkle of salt
Sprinkle of ginger
Aloha Soy Sauce
Mung bean sprout coarsely chopped
Water chestnuts coarsely chopped
Finely minced green onion
(I made this part up by myself!)

Use water to seal up a little bit of filling in the wonton wrappers.
Heat up enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a non stick pan. Cook 'til the bottoms get brown and toasty. Add 1/3 cup of water. Put a lid on it and let them steam for about 5 mins.

Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.

3 comments:

  1. A-Mazing! They look absolutely delicious. I am super impressed. (the dough sounds very similar to the homemade egg noodles we used to make)

    I'd like to order these for supper, please, when Papa & I win that free Outrigger Hawaii trip ;)

    p.s... very attractive display. UnclE would be proud (wish he had a home pc)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ya- and those turtle chopstick holders are soo Richard :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is amazing! They look so good. I never go that far out of my comfort zone cooking wise. I should though. I too love the chopstick holders.

    ReplyDelete