Saturday, July 7, 2012

Aebleskivers

I have often described my heritage as half-Danish, half-English Mutt. And though I adore my English Mutt Papa, I cling dearly to my half-Danish identity. I was very excited to find out my new last name, Ronnow, was originally Danish nobility (and yes, I fully plan on telling my daughters that they are Danish Princesses). 
There are lots of reasons to brag about being connected to Denmark. I could spend pages talking about the architecture scene alone.
But hands down my favorite part of being Half-Danish is my great-grandma's Aebleskiver pan! The easiest way to describe an Aebleskiver is to call it a spherical pancake, but that really doesn't do it justice. I'm still figuring out how to make them just right. But this batch turned out pretty AMAZING!

For the pastry I use my Mama's Buttermilk Pancake recipe:
1 cup flour
2 Tbs sugar 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk  
(you can cheat and add a tsp of vinegar to normal milk instead)
1 egg
2 Tbs oil

Mix flour, sugar, soda, and salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl whisk buttermilk, egg and oil. Gently fold in the flour mix. DON'T OVER MIX!

This time for the filling, I did raspberry peach!

Just mix up some diced peaches and a few scoops of simply fruit raspberry spread. Microwave on high for 45 seconds and mash just a little.

Fill the rounds about half full with batter. 
Add some fruit filling:

Or if you have a silly husband like mine who doesn't like fruit in his aebleskivers try adding sausage:

Top the filling with more batter (spiraling from the outside to the middle helps trap the juices in)
 When thick and bubbly use a bamboo skewer to flip.
 Keep warm until ready to serve.
I put more fruit filling on top of mine and a dusting of powdered sugar.
Richard drizzles his with maple syrup
 It makes about 21 aebleskivers.


YUM!
While researching how to spell Aebleskiver I found this lady's recipe and method. She gives her's a quarter turn at a time and they turn out much prettier. I'm going to test that out next time.

But I'll leave you with one more shot of mine 'cause I'm so proud of myself :)



3 comments:

  1. Wow, who's the lucky woman that gets to be your mama? She must be soo proud to call you her own smart little cookie..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used one of those pans in culinary school!... But not for it's intended purpose. We used it as a mold for other things. We knew, of course, that it was a type of pastry pan but it's not one that you learn in French cooking school. :P
    Rick did tell you that we're the peasants, not the nobles, right? Yep, we're the lowly bunch who asked to take on the name to prevent it from dying out with the last noble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my daughters are Danish Princesses. Loved the yummy food ideas. I do not like making pancakes, but these looked fun.

      Delete