Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy 4th!

 It wasn't a very traditional 4th this year. We didn't BBQ anything, accidentally slept through the fireworks, and enjoyed reggae instead of the usual patriotic soundtrack . However, we did celebrate by enjoying what is perhaps my favorite part of the 'American Experiment': Public Land! 
"While ideas for this type of national park had been suggested previously, the United States established the first such one." -Wikipedia.
 And that makes me proud to be an American!
We don't have a national park here on Oahu, however, all of the beaches have been declared public land :) So, it seemed like the perfect stage for a 4th of July adventure
There was a negative tide on North Shore. It made the shelf behind the Pupukea Tide pools easily accessible.
Sadly, I remembered the camera forgot the SD card in my laptop! :( My camera only had enough memory for 2 pictures. I gave them to Richard for his 2 favorite catches. 
This is a new type of crab we found. It has tiny pincers and it appears to be some sort of a filter feeder.
Cute little fishy! I think it is a baby Raccoon Butterfly Fish. 
I wish I could have showed you the amazing landscape. The entire shelf was covered in crystal clear little sinkholes filled to the brim with sea life. I felt a kinda guilty though, because it was so easy catching things here, it seemed like we were cheating somehow lol.

Also while we were exploring a huge line of paddling surf-boarders came sailing by. Then more and more, Then SUP boarders, then jet ski's and a tiny helicopter. Turns out it was a race:

 

A 4 mile paddle race! And we had accidental front row seats right in the middle of it. 

We decided to hike down to the finish line and see them triumphantly arrive. 

I was so excited I forgot to reapply suntan lotion:


It is actually even worse than it looks in these pictures :(

Here is a shot of the late comers rounding the final bend:
Sorry my phone's camera isn't so clear.
And the best part is- this was a Wednesday! Just two more days and we get to have another adventure! HOORAY!

3 comments:

  1. I love the fishy, so tiny, so beautiful.You two remind me of the Up characters. "Adventure is out there!" Someday I need to go on some of these adventures with you. Notice this is a need, not a want. I can be the weird sister that Up never shows; the not as cool, not as graceful, but still fun character. I may be the accidental comic relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing! That sunburn looks terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! I'm sorry to see you burned!
    Both of those catches are amazing. You have to go back there again with the camera so we can see the landscape and everything else you guys find!

    ReplyDelete