Friday, June 3, 2011

Can I just say I love the 1940's! Beautiful cars, beautiful clothes, beautiful shoes, beautiful men (yes Cary Grant I'm pointing to you!), beautiful hats and fascinators and last but not least beautiful hair! Over the last few years I've acquired enough items to officially have a 1940's outfit or two. So seeing how the job hunt is still dragging on, I still have plenty of free time. I decided tonight to get a collection of hairstyles together and test 'em out. I spent the last few hours watching tutorials, reading, and downloading pics.


I took my trusty laptop back to my mirror and began to work on bringing my 40's hair to life. 20 minutes later I emerge completely deflated and feeling quite blue. See, the trouble with all of the 40's hairstyles are they are intended for hair at most a few inches longer than shoulder length. My length of hair just doesn't apply. For the first time in my life I looked at my long hair critically.


Maybe hair this long isn't all its cracked up to be. Does hair this long just look weird? Maybe if I just took 6 to 8 inches off? The internal debate begins:

me -Wait, who am I kidding, I don't want to cut my hair!
critical me -Really? You like washing you hair for 20 mins? and taking 2 hours just to curl it?
me- No I really hate that part, but its ok because I like my long hair
critical me- Do you really like it this long or are you just used to it?
I do like it... I think...
You don't sound so sure..
I .. I am... I'm pretty sure..
Come on a few inches, it would still be long.
Well I don't know its just ... WAIT! Richard likes it this way! HA! take that critical me, I win!
Fine pull the Richard card! You may have won this time but I'll be back!


I sat back down and looked even harder for a cute 1940's hairstyle that could be done with two and a half feet of hair and still came up blank. Finally out of frustration I typed in "long blonde hair" to google image search and this is what popped up:


Awe! She's beautiful! I'm not sorry for my long hair! I LOVE my long hair! Who cares if I can't get an authentic 40's hairdo out of it. Forever and always Rapunzel I'll be :)


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your long hair Abby! It is so beautiful. Just find someone else do to the 40's hairdos on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love. That's all I have to say. Did you remind critical self of all the little girls who just assume you are a princess?

    ReplyDelete