Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bacon

It seems like ever since I left home it seems like certain food items prices have been increasing exponentially. One such item is Bacon. In software when there is a glitch in a program people invent "work arounds" Its a odd slightly complicated way to maneuver around said glitch.
Recently I have found the work around for bacon prices. It is called Sunny Valley Ends and Pieces.
This is a pork belly:
And after they cut out those nice uniform bacon slices there are leftover chunks and bits. Those bits end up in a bulk package with a friendly sticker at WinCo.
They layer the few strips in the mix on the outside of the package so you think hey most of this will be usable. Once you open it up you find those were the only things in the entire 3lb package that resemble bacon. At first I was very disappointed. It's a grab bag between big ham like chunks the size of my fist and similar sized lard hunks, to little marble sized pieces, to slices so thin you can see right through them. It takes me about half an hour to sort through and make 3 bowls:

Lard:

Solid Meat:

Friable Bacon:

The last group I end up with about 10 slices and the rest 3 lbs is divided between the first 2. I chop the ham like chunks into lovely bacon bits that I freeze in little servings. (I can just toss the little frozen serving into a pan and it thaws and fries up just the right amount of bacon for a two person omelet or to be used on top of a pizza.) Next I render down the lard. When it goes liquid I strain it and refrigerate to use later for cooking eggs or other savory dishes. We just used up the last of it two weeks ago so I've been going through the process again today.
Right now I'm rendering and from the kitchen, to the bedroom, to the laundry room it all smells like bacon! YUM :)

3 comments:

  1. we have also noticed that bacon is ridiculously expensive, but so so bad at costco. You get 4 1 lb packages for about 11 bucks. So way cheaper than the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Look at you being all thrifty! What a good idea. We have just been eating less and less bacon. Maybe I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heart-stopping killer idea ;) Because of the preservatives, etc, factor, I think store bacon's a good area to use that 'moderation in all things' logic :p

    It's always cool to hear all the ways you put your homestead upbringing to use in your own home, Abby. And you've given me an idea..

    ..I DO miss being able to render that beautiful pure lard from after we'd butcher the hogs in the fall. Your post makes me think that since we don't raise 'em anymore I should be asking Peggie to have their butcher wrap up some of the fat from their pigs for me every autumn.

    I'd sure like having it again for a more natural/pure fat (instead of the poisonous store lard) when I make the wild bird treats mixed w/pnut-butter & seed every winter...

    ReplyDelete