Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Another fun kid idea.

Disclaimer: This post doesn't flow well.. I can't make it transition correctly, but I want to get my idea down before I forget it so here it is anyway.

Old properties seem to collect junk. The home I spent the bulk of my childhood in was no exception. My parents had a heck of a time trying to get rid of it all, but they were kind enough to never haul away
'The Jeep'





We spent hours upon hours driving this across the mountains, through deserts, and to the beach. Using it as a time machine to find dinosaurs, then going forward in time to be Paleontologists and dig up the bones. (there were also a significant number of bones on this property... never really thought it odd 'til just now.) 

As you may know I am fascinated by small living space solutions. It's what I used as a focus for my senior project. I'm currently working on a Victorian bungalow design inspired by my mom (hopefully I'll post the design in a few months). I also follow an interesting blog called Relax Shacks. Today they were featuring a book called My Cool Camper Van. They had this picture from the book:


I've always loved VW buses but have never been interested in the work necessary to keep one running. Upon seeing this I finally realized a solution.
When we have a home of our own I'm going to get the body of an old VW micro bus and turn it into a play house/car/fort for my kids!
I'll have a little ladder going up to where the suitcases are (probably install a nice wood guardrail up there, too) Put a small play kitchen, a table, and a big bed in the back. Leave the big beautiful bench seat, steering wheel and blinker/washer/drive knobs all in the front. I'll see about getting some of those soft close hinges to put on the doors to save small hands and fingers from getting smushed.

If it can provide even 1/10th of the enjoyment I got from 'The Jeep' it will be time and money well spent.


As a fun bonus while looking for a picture of 'The Jeep' my mom pulled up some old photo's that may have been the spark of my interest in tiny houses

This was the straw house.. though I think better constructed then that of the fated piggy of the nursery rhyme. (check out how skinny that snowman is!)

The bark huts. A wonderful bi-product of the debarking of firewood.

 My cousin Erin and me in front of the pallet house. ( possibly the WORST childhood picture of me lol)

The next installment of  Junk My Parents Let Us Keep I think will be titled 'The Giant Spool'.

1 comment:

  1. Cleaning up and rehabilitating other people's neglected properties: *shudder*

    Keeping the 'classic' junk & watching your kid's imaginations soar:
    awesome =)

    Love your future playhouse idea for our future grandchildren. ADORE those little kids in your post! ...and to think they all grew up to be such amazing individuals. Must have something to do with all that inventive play?

    ReplyDelete