Friday, April 20, 2012

Honolulu Zoo

I LOVE THIS ZOO! Hogal Zoo in SLC was the only real zoo I have been to and we didn't go very often because the enclosures made me sad. But this zoo all the animals seem very happy and healthy!
It is a great zoo for Richard too, There are turtles EVERYWHERE!

This is one from India hanging out in one of the ponds with the monkeys: 

Here are two more with the ring tails:
A big beautiful tortoise coming out of its home: 
Lunch time was all kinds of fun plants A bunch of which grow right there at the zoo!
Here they are before their lunch was delivered:



Here is Richard on a fun turtle bench:
Another of the large tortoises eating lunch
Can you find the MataMata turtle: 
His head is circled in yellow... I NEVER would have found it if Richard hadn't pointed it out.
This is what they look like out of water. They prefer to never come out. I had to find this picture on the internet:
Their name translates to "I kill I kill" apparently they are voracious eaters! This is what their faces look like!

These tortoises were HUGE!!

Ok enough with the turtle tribute on to the other animals.
Ben being a monkey's uncle:
Here is a better shot of the monkeys. They are white handed gibbons.

This was a cute feature in one of the volunteer gardens...It inspired me to design a kid's play garden.. I think I'll collect some more ideas and make a post about that in a few weeks.
Look at those healthy happy giraffes! 

This picture made me laugh. "And here we are on the African savanna and wait... whats that in the back ground...skyscrapers?! Oh ya, we are in Honolulu"
I just love the lush green, natural environments they keep them in.

They also barricade the a lot of the herbivores cleverly so it doesn't feel like they are 'caged'

These are Dik Diks they are tiny (only getting about 15 pounds max) and I want a little herd running around my yard when I grow up.
A cool lizard doing his best camo near one of the exhibits.
Sadly the picture didn't turn out, but these fat chicken birds cracked me up! 
Here is a better shot of the ring tails:
Some apes:
here is video of a cool type of crocodile:
Elephants:
A beautiful pelican:
Javelinas!..actually I think it was a different type of wild pig. The one in the picture was hand raised. One day she figured out how to get out of the enclosure, she spent her time wandering around with the other patrons checking out the other exhibits and was very surprised at the people who were concerned about here being out. lol
This was my first time ever seeing flamingo's live! I LOVE THEM :)
There were so many other animals as well.
We ended up getting a year's membership (only a few dollars more than a day trip!) AND if we bring guests they get discount tickets! So come with us!! We'll go back soon so I can fill in the blanks of the other animals plus all the names of these cool creatures. Also the guy who wrote Richard's new reptile book is the curator for the reptile house so we are hoping for a chance to meet him :)



2 comments:

  1. Wow! I what a cool zoo! I love the "I kill, I kill" turtle. That grin he has is a little disturbing...I like it. My brother is the best at spotting the unspottable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are having so much fun exploring your new home. I love all these posts.

    ReplyDelete