Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ciabatta Bread

I love ciabatta bread. It is chewy and delicious. It makes wonderful sandwiches. However, it costs almost $6 a loaf here, so I decided to be brave and try and make it myself.
I tried using a recipe from TheKitchn.

It all started out well:


I made this lovely starter overnight.


Then broke it down in the liquid 

 

I even weighed all the ingredients!

Then after messing up the rising, not being able to knead it (you need a stand mixer), I pulled it out of the bowl and TADA:


A HUGE STICKY FAILURE!


I did my best to shape it up using LOTS of flour.


And then basically gave up and tossed it in the oven.


And amazingly it turned out!





I made BBQ pork Sunday and now... Sandwiches!


It turned out OK. It was a little too moist. I'm going to try this guy's recipe next time:



2 comments:

  1. ..just pulled a loaf of freshly baked whole wheat buttermilk flaxseed bread from the oven and thought of that other bread-'Baker' over in the tropics making her own Ciabatta bread. Your lack of fear of trying is so rewarding to see, Abby Jayne. The bread & resulting sandwich pictures are very appealing..Terrific photos!

    (that video is great for showing how the consistency should be for your next batch. You've got a lot of humidity to deal w/when bread making in Hawaii so you'll most likely always use more flour than the basic recipes call for)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Oh, Abby, if you had asked, I would have told you that ciabatta bread dough is so soft it's pretty much runny! I was reading through and when I saw that you said it was a "Huge sticky failure" I thought, "NO, ABBY! I hope you baked it!" Thankfully, you did! HOORAY! I'm glad you didn't give up and it turned out ok in the end.

    ReplyDelete