Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tide Pooling near Makapu'u



Saturday there was a low tide at 9 am. We decided to stay up (after Richard got off work) and go check out an area on the windward side of the island. We parked in what I think is the lot for Makapu'u Beach Park and made our way out on to the lava flow/coral wave break. We didn't have the camera so these are all phone shots. We got there about 7:30 and stayed for several hours. It was one of the most alive beaches I've seen! There were hundreds of crabs (at least 5 different varieties) , sea slugs, cucumbers, bristle stars,
baby convict tangs, sculpins, gobies, rock blennies and I could go on and on. Next time I promise to remember the camera so I can show you instead of just tell you.

One of our favorites were the Box Crabs. Their Hawaiian name is Poki Poki (sounds like poke-key poke-key). They have awesome camouflage.




Watch out for those pincers!


Here he is hiding in the sand/rocks I put a thin blue circle around him.

 No circle in this one but he's right in the middle.

 This one is really hard. You can just barely see the blue circle but it's there.

While we were in a sandier section Richard was walking over to show me a shell and almost stepped right on this guy! He tried inking but Richard caught him anyways :) 





Not only could it change color but it could change texture too! It would match the smoothness of the sand or the roughness of the rocks.
There was 1 other family sharing the beach with us at this point.  We took it over to show them too. 



They were a really nice family and they had the 2 coolest little kids! We let the octopus go in the little wading pool where they were. They were very excited to have it but neither of them wanted to touch it. (which was just as well since their beaks can be pretty dangerous.) We got to watch it dig itself a little cave under one of the big rocks. The 4 year old boy made instant friends with Richard and would keep calling us back to the beach to come see the fun things he caught in his little sand castle bucket. He kept asking "When you go, and are all done with them, Can I have the things in your bucket?" He came out wading with us a few times and Richard caught him a big sculpin. 

As the island crawl started we met a very nice older couple from New Mexico. They were very curious about what we were doing and wanted to know if we were scientists :) I'm really hoping I can land a job soon so Richard can start school. We are really excited for him to start the Zoology program here.

6 comments:

  1. I got on this morning, so excited because I figured you wrote about the octopus. I am not disappointed. That is so amazing. I love the crab, I couldn't help but laugh when Richard says, "I would have never seen it" This has never been an issue with my brother. Even though they are only phone pictures, they are SO COOL! And the octopus! He is beautiful! I think it is so great that you guys are creating more Richards for the generations to come. What a lucky little boy. And yes, you guys are scientists. Wikipedia says "A scientist, in a broad sense, is one engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge. In a more restricted sense, a scientist is an individual who uses the scientific method" You two are scientists for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon and Josh loved this post too. After watching the octopus video, there are other videos about octopus that Josh NEEDED to watch. His favorite was the one where Koreans eat live octopus. He thinks you guys should have eaten it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha!Richard and I were actually discussing if we ever would kill/eat an octopus (I know for a fact I couldn't do it live). The mom of the family wanted to know if we were taking it home to cook. She says the locals call octopus (when it's being used as food) tako. If you are going spear fishing for octopus, you are out to 'poke a tako'. So tell Josh when you guys come to visit I'll find someone to 'poke him a tako', and if he is brave enough to eat it I'll try it with him :)

      Delete
  3. That's so awesome, you guys! I agree with Katie, you are scientists! Rick has always been one who was interested in exploring and expanding his knowledge and it's great that you two love to do that together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wouldn't know I had a better grasp of the English language.. all I could keep uttering was 'wow!wow!wow!'. I'm up and taking solids and wanted some diversion from staring at the bedroom ceiling so THANK YOU very very much for this little science field-trip. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete